Social Icons

Icon Icon Icon Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday 5 April 2013

#FridayFeature - Guest Post by Joanne Phillips (@joannegphillips)

Today I'd like to welcome to Beyond My Writing Space author Joanne Phillips. I featured Joanne's latest release, The Family Trap, a few weeks back and invited her to come along and share with us what a creative writer does when their not being creative?


What I Do When I’m Not Being Creative


Even when I’m not writing I can still be found glued to my desk, working. I work as a freelance indexer, compiling back-of-the-book indexes for non-fiction books – a job I absolutely love. Mind you, I actually consider indexing quite a creative task, so this probably doesn’t count ;)



The rest of the time I’m a full-time mum and wife, looking after my beautiful five-year-old daughter and keeping our house just about in some kind of order! Since having a family I’ve discovered that I’m a very tidy person. No one else in my household is, unfortunately. I’m not obsessively clean, or compulsively tidy, but I find it really difficult to relax if there is too much ‘clutter’ around. That’s not to say our house is immaculate – far from it! – but everything has a place, and when everything’s in its place I’m happy.

My weekdays are structured around school runs – in the day I get about five free hours, not including a brief stop for lunch. But as well as writing and promoting my books, and indexing, I need to fit in coffees with friends, visits with family, shopping, housework (!), and occasionally a bit of ‘me’ time. After school it’s reading and homework with my daughter, and by the time she’s gone to bed I’m usually too tired to do anything other than flop in front of the telly for an episode of Masterchef or Bargain Hunt (recorded from earlier in the day – how sad is that?).

Weekends we try to do stuff as a family. I’ve just joined the National Trust, so we plan to do the rounds of historic houses and gardens this summer. We live in a beautiful rural area, but it’s still good to get out and about – if only because I find it hard to stop working when we’re at home! I’ve always considered myself to be a person with only two speeds: flat out and stop. I can be both incredibly industrious and totally lazy – but not at the same time, of course.

Hobbies? Well, I do have a few. I love crocheting and quilting, and walking, and reading of course! For me, nothing beats relaxing in a nice hot bubbly bath with a glass of wine, surrounded by candles and reading a good book, while your hubby cooks dinner and loads up the dishwasher. Pure bliss!



Who is Joanne Phillips...?


Joanne Phillips lives in Shropshire with her husband and young daughter. Since leaving school she’s had an eclectic career, working as a hairdresser, an air hostess and a librarian. She’s the author of commercial women’s fiction novels Can't Live Without and The Family Trap, and works part time as an indexer. Joanne is studying for a masters in creative writing at Manchester Metropolitan University and is a member of Market Drayton Writers’ Group. She blogs regularly about writing and publishing at www.joannephillips.co.uk


Connect with Joanne Phillips 

Website  Twitter   |  Facebook



Buying links: 

 


Erin

Posts You May Have Missed 

The Family Trap,  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

The Legal Bit

All characters have no existence outside the imagination of the author and have no relation to anyone baring the same name. They are not inspired by an individual known or unknown by the author and all incidents are pure invention.

The articles, excerpts, and other written work published under the pseudonym Erin Cawood are copyright protected by the author. Guest articles are published by arrangement and also copyright protected by the guest author.

Images of Erin Cawood are provided by Paul Miguel Photography.


Sample Text