Social Icons

Icon Icon Icon Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday 3 March 2010

Maybe Fairytale Don't Come True!

Several years ago I returned to college to complete my A Levels. I work full time and I chose to study full time. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do and I looked towards my loved ones whenever I needed a confidence boost. The responses I got were not inspiring nor were they what I needed to hear. I was ready to give up and my struggle on this path came very close to throwing eighteen months of incredibly hard work down the drain when one of them said to me:
"Maybe fairytale don't come true!"

What was I to do? Was I to accept my life is not in my hands? Am I to believe what I want means nothing in the grand scheme of things? Not a chance!

 This is my life. I will do what I want with it!

There are some people in this world who do not believe that you are in control of your destiny. Where there is an element of fate, or divine intervention... or whatever it is you may believe in, there is something to be gained from "regret what you have done and not what you haven't" - For I now believe that shoulda, coulda and woulda are only excuses. 

There is something incredibly powerful from the self confidence gained by believing "You can achieve anything you put your mind to" - Life is hard. Life is a constant battle to get where you want to be. No matter who is there for you, what they can do for you, at the end of the day there will almost always be someone or something standing in your way. Your army can not do this for you and it may come down to you against the rest of the world. 

So when my older sister decided that she wanted to change her life by returning to college. I knew that at some point on this path towards her dream she would begin to feel alone, like no one else could understand and she would need some form of inspiration to continue when she wanted to give up and go back to the way things were.  

Only You is about believeing in yourself, its about believeing that whatever "it" may be... "it" is worth fighting for and Only You can fight for it.

You are in control as long as you believe in "Only You".

Erin
p.s. My sister carries this poem wherever she takes her college folder. Its stuck to the inner side.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! And so true. My high school guidance counsellor told me not to bother with university. That I would never succeed. I have a Master's of Science degree that proves him wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. And inspiring too.
    I am definitely going to follow your blog.
    Please check out my blog too and leave a comment or two, hey that rhymes!
    http://iwritemymindout.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

The Legal Bit

All characters have no existence outside the imagination of the author and have no relation to anyone baring the same name. They are not inspired by an individual known or unknown by the author and all incidents are pure invention.

The articles, excerpts, and other written work published under the pseudonym Erin Cawood are copyright protected by the author. Guest articles are published by arrangement and also copyright protected by the guest author.

Images of Erin Cawood are provided by Paul Miguel Photography.


Sample Text